Kraft Heinz sponsored this post, but the opinions are my own.
Ahhhh do you feel that? It’s August and football is in there air – FINALLY. Pre-season games, fantasy football drafts and lots of time scoping the player lists on social media. Is that new rookie for the Black and Gold ready to perform like a Yinzer?
While most moms are in back-to-school mode (ok, we are a little too), I am in homegating mode. That means getting ready for a football season of fun at home – from food to the perfect attire to some new props (like our blow up football doll last year).
The best part about Labor Day coming means it’s acceptable to eat again – no more bikini season – and eat we shall!
It’s never too early to start prepping new tailgating/homegating recipes – it’s seriously my favorite time of year, especially when I can incorporate lots of hometown Heinz products into the mix. With all our traveling this summer, we’ve has access to lots of Walmarts along the way, so we picked up some fun items and food staples to recreate and prep for football season this week (no complaints here!). So to kickoff our favorite time of year, here are three new recipes that are Pittsburgh approved for homegating 2017 (plus I picked these because they’re PERFECT for outdoor picnics and tailgating too with all our outdoor travels!).
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing, divided
- 1 French bread baguette (16 oz.), partially split
- 18 slices OSCAR MAYER Deli Fresh Smoked Ham
- 6 slices OSCAR MAYER Bologna
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 KRAFT Single
- Mix slaw and 1/3 cup dressing.
- Spread bottom half of baguette with remaining dressing.
- Fill baguette with slaw and remaining ingredients.
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 8 slices OSCAR MAYER Deli Fresh Smoked Ham
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Beat egg and water until blended. Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface. Roll into 14x10-inch rectangle; cut lengthwise in half. Brush both pastry halves lightly with egg. Sprinkle 1 pastry piece with 3 Tbsp. cheese and pepper; cover with ham and remaining pastry piece, egg-side down. Roll gently with rolling pin to seal. Brush lightly with some of the remaining egg.
- Roll up tightly into 14-inch log, starting at 1 long side; cut crosswise into 24 slices. Place, cut-sides down, on parchment-covered baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 12 to 14 min. or until golden brown.
- 1 Tbsp. MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
- 2 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- 6 slices OSCAR MAYER Deli Fresh Smoked Turkey Breast
- 1 KRAFT 2% Milk Singles, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. OSCAR MAYER Real Bacon Recipe Pieces
- Spread dressing down centers of lettuce leaves; top with remaining ingredients. Fold in sides; roll up.
- Serve immediately.
- Or, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Author: Stephanie Barnhart
Stephanie Barnhart is Author/Founder of Footballfoodandmotherhood.com, New York Editor for Mommy Nearest Magazine, and Founder/Social Media Strategist of SocialmindedMediaGroup.com. Stephanie is also a speaker of best online practices for small business and soloprenurs, as well as an educator to parents on social media monitoring. She has also been seen in the New York Times, PARENTGUIDE News, NY Metro Parent, ABC News, and been a contributing author on various websites.