It’s finally after Labor Day – meaning bikini season is dying down and we can get back to the things we love – carbs. We don’t have to keep ordering the basic kale salad for lunch -we can eat again! Football season and fall is all about comfort – the holidays are coming, big sweaters and big meals. However, now that you’ve been used to all that healthy food all summer, you can just jump right off the bandwagon. Let’s ween you over with some good carbs – like organic mushrooms.
I first thought about inventing this recipe after I grabbed a spicy mushroom salad from IndiKitch in the city. It was my first time there, and I was skeptical that this would one, fill me up, and two, satisfy my lunch needs – but it ended up being one of the most delicious (and filling!) lunches I’d had in a while, so I wanted to learn to recreate it at home.
Seeds of Change® also just happened to come out with these new organic, simmer sauce packets that take cooking to a new level. Not only delicious, but simple (and hello! organic). You can easily pour one of these packs over your next meal and simmer in the skillet for a few minutes making a delightful meal – that means fast and tasty (not that us mom actually taste our food anyways right?). Plus Seeds of Change® sauces are certified organic and free of artificial colors, flavors and preservatives (why isn’t everything?). So here was the end result:
Crab and Mushroom Spinach Sauté
The crab is compliments of a hefty sale at Stew Leonard’s on the way home from the lake house one weekend. I thought – hmmmm…I love mushrooms, and I love crab – I wonder how this will take together? And well, the rest is history, my friends! (Don’t worry, you don’t need to steam fresh crab legs for this recipe – it’s just as good with fake crab or canned/frozen crab meat – which I always have in my freezer anyways. FYI – did you know it’s that easy to find crab meat?).
- 1 Seeds of Change Mushroom Simmering Sauce Pack
- 4 cups of mushrooms (if you can get a wild variety pack - go for that, if anything, button and shitake are good).
- 1 lb fresh or frozen crab meat (depending how much work you want here)
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen spinach (it all wilts the same)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped scallions
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- Olive oil for cooking
- In a small bowl, mix up the sesame oil, red pepper flakes, scallions, and sesame seeds. Set to the side.
- If you are steaming crab legs, do so now. Or take the frozen crab meat and defrost.
- Start to sauté the garlic and mushrooms. Once they start to brown, add the spinach. Once it is wilted, mix in the Seeds of Change Simmering Mushroom Sauce and bowl of extra ingredients.
- Toss and simmer on low covered for 15-20 min.
- Top or mix in crab meat, serve with a couple legs on the side if you're fancy.
Seeds of Change® simmer sauce packets are only $3.39 (imagine the possibilities!) and are available at big retailers like Target, Meijer, Albertsons, Publix, Harris Teeter and Price Chopper. The come in five flavors too – not just mushroom:
- Sesame Ginger Teriyaki
- Taco Roasted Chipotle
- Sweet & Sour
- Tikka Masala
This is a sponsored post bySeeds of Change®. The recipe is original and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting Football Food and Motherhood.
Author: Stephanie Barnhart
Stephanie Barnhart is Author/Founder of Footballfoodandmotherhood.com, New York Editor for Mommy Nearest Magazine, and Founder/Social Media Strategist of SocialmindedMediaGroup.com. Stephanie is also a speaker of best online practices for small business and soloprenurs, as well as an educator to parents on social media monitoring. She has also been seen in the New York Times, PARENTGUIDE News, NY Metro Parent, ABC News, and been a contributing author on various websites.