Ok ok YOU GET IT – I grew up on a farm. Do I have to relate that in every post? Well, if I wasn’t standing in line to ride the tractor at Queens County Farm Museum and hear the mom behind me go “LOOK! Wait – what is that? A cow? A bull? I think it’s a bull – wait – is that a deer?” **SIGH** So if you’re looking for NYC Fall Events- I totally recommend getting your country on and visit the Queens County Farm Museum.
There’s nothing like walking in a nice country garden, stopping to feed the goats some hay, annnnnd…. seeing row houses and a basketball court behind you. Ahh NYC – you never fail to disappoint. Even in the middle of the largest city of the world you can find, yes, a FARM! This is why I love and live in Queens – really you CAN get the best of both worlds. I mean, spanish empanadas on one corner and Milk A Cow on the next? Helllllloooooo – why would you live anywhere else.
I wanted to write a post on the Queens County Farm Museum because yes (1) they have an awesome fall festival all October - and you can still catch it today and next weekend (in fact I’ll be back next weekend for pumpkin picking!) but guess what (2) – it’s YEAR ROUND FOLKS! They always have some sort of awesome kids fest (follow all their events on their facebook page) – and Maximo never gets tired of feeding the sheep and chickens. Yes, chickens too.
NYC Fall Events – 6 Reasons to Visit Queens County Farm Museum
Free Parking and Free Admission! 11 am – 4:30 pm on weekends in October
1. Pumpkin Picking – of course a given – they have an enormous patch to run around and pick up as many as you can carry out to carve.
2. The Amazing Maize Corn Maze – ($10)what they’re famous for! Try and run around in 8 foot talk corn stalks and not get lost – they do give you a flag to carry through so they can find you if you DO get lost.
3. Hay Rides – ($3) Get dirty – jump on some hay bales and bounce around on a tour of the farm – it’s actually a lot bigger than you think!
4. Farmer’s Market – it wouldn’t be a farm if they didn’t sell their produce! You can still get some beautiful looking corn, carrots and greens so bring some cash with you.
5. Feed the Animals – ($4) I mean, obviously a huge hit with the kids. Maximo spends most of the day in here. You get some lettuce and carrots and get to feed pigs, sheep, chickens, bunnies – I know what you’re thinking enough with the animals – but if you’re cooped up in your little tiny city apartment all week – a couple hours running around in the straw feeding cute little animals can warm over any New Yorker.
6. Ride a Tractor and Milk A Cow – ok these are PURELY for comic relief to my uncles on the farm back in PA. They will die when they see city kids lined up to ‘milk a cow’ and have a tractor drop a haybale. They’re saying – ummmm free labor right over here! Come milk all the cows and toss all the hay bales you want!!
Find directions and all events for the Queens County Farm Museum Here:
Looking for other NYC fall events? Check out these other places I’ve checked out and approved for you:
Author: Stephanie Barnhart
Stephanie is a published author—featured in the New York Times, NY Metro Parents Magazine, PARENTGUIDE NEWS, as well as an #expertmom for MommyNearest.com, and contributing author to KidzCentralStation.com and Kidville.com’s Voices of the ‘Ville — author and speaker/consultant on motherhood and the importance of marketing and research in a business arena, specifically online. She also owns her own social media company, www.socialmindedmediagroup.com