Summer. Great for tans, not great for cooking indoors with heat. Plus, who can really eat big, heavy meals when it’s so hot out? To keep our waistlines trim and our summer eats light, we switch up to only eat fresh foods – and that usually means whatever is in season at our local farmer’s market. But this picky eater “threeanger” also still loves his two favorite things – pancakes and hot dogs.
So, what is a mom to do? Cottage cheese pancakes. Actually, Friendship Dairies cottage cheese pancakes. I mean, I don’t even know why we still eat REGULAR pancakes to be honest – these are super light, there is only a small amount of carbs (so not heavy and good for diets!), and they taste AMAZING. Seriously. I just fed them to about six people in my house and they all begged me for the recipe and I made them wait until I wrote it up on my blog.
Why we love Friendship Dairies Cottage Cheese
Because growing up on a dairy farm, I’ve always been a huge fan of cottage cheese – and it’s been a Friendship Dairies superfood original since 1917. Cottage cheese doesn’t get a lot of love these days, but it’s really a versatile food (as you can see!) and it’s a great substitute in recipes for other high fat or high carb ingredients. Plus, it’s high in protein so it’s filling and keeps you energized throughout the day.
Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Friendly's Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Whip everything together in a large bowl.
- Heat a griddle or large pan (I use organic Pam to keep them from sticking) on medium high heat.
- Pour out silver dollar size batter into the pan.
- Watch to flip them before they burn. (Pancakes are tricky - the first one is always going to stick while the pan is heating to a consistent temperature. You want them to cook about 1 minute before flipping so they're more stable to flip).
- Top with fresh fruit, powered sugar or even lemon. Real maple syrup is the only way to go.
About the sweepstakes:
Friendship Dairies is giving away more than $5,000 in weekly prizes, including three $498 Vitamix®grand prizes!! How you can enter:
- Use the Superfood Generator to select a cottage cheese (It’s a fun, inspirational tool that helps you see the endless deliciousness of cottage cheese with mix-ins, and their nutritional benefits – we personally love the 1% the most!)
- Choose up to three mix-ins (hello seasonal fruits and veggies!)
- Get a super summary (see just how much protein you’re packing!)
4. Enter the sweepstakes (win, baby!)
The sweeps run July 1 through August 31. Participants can come back once a day to enter through August 31. Each daily entry is submitted into the grand prize drawing. Plus, when you share the sweeps on your wall, you get a bonus entry! Sweepstakes disclosure: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. For rules, see http://bit.ly/1RJDkOm.
Author: Stephanie Barnhart
Stephanie Barnhart is Author/Founder of Footballfoodandmotherhood.com, New York Editor for Mommy Nearest Magazine, and Founder/Social Media Strategist of SocialmindedMediaGroup.com. Stephanie is also a speaker of best online practices for small business and soloprenurs, as well as an educator to parents on social media monitoring. She has also been seen in the New York Times, PARENTGUIDE News, NY Metro Parent, ABC News, and been a contributing author on various websites.